People show an increasing tendency towards having their own wind turbines for generating their own electricity as well as for reducing their contribution to environmental problems as a result of carbon based energy sources.
Wind turbines along with their operation
A wind turbine is really a machine that can convert the kinetic energy from the wind into electrical energy. Blowing wind rotates the blades of the turbine as well as the mechanism within it can generate electricity upon this rotation. Wind turbines have mainly two types. Horizontal axis and vertical axis wind turbines. Both have pros and cons but horizontal axis ones are definitely more common as a result of higher efficiency.
Individual wind turbines
Individual turbines can be utilized for various purposes which range from supplying energy for some small electrical devices where grid connection is not really possible to meeting area of the energy need for a home, a farm or even a production facility. Individual generation systems can be standalone or grid connected. The vitality output from a standalone Small Wind Turbine can be directly used. However, in grid connected systems excess electricity produced can be supplied to the national grid system. In Ireland, you will have possiblity to be paid for the extra electricity you supply to the grid as much as 500kW. Individual wind turbines can range from as small as 50W to as large as 3 MW, based on their reason for use.
Individual wind turbines for domestic use
Unlike large industrial wind turbines, these turbines have smaller dimensions that will make them suitable for using in relatively smaller areas. Their capacities range from no more than 50 watts to up to 50 kilowatts along with their prices vary depending on their sizes, types and manufacturers.
What to do for installing a little wind generation system?
* First of all you must decide whether you really want a little scale wind turbine for your energy needs. Sometimes just saving some energy can lower your debts however if the reason behind considering a little turbine has been in off-grid areas you can go on to another steps.
* Inspect your website or maybe your building (for rooftop turbines) to find out whether it be appropriate for installing a wind turbine. You need to have enough space to install a turbine without the wind being blocked by other buildings or obstacles.
* Determine your power needs. Your electricity bills will likely be the best references.
* See if the place you are going to install your turbine is windy enough. You can always find wind measurement data in wind energy associations’ websites for your area.
* Based on your power requirement and also the wind potential in your town, decide the capability and kind of the turbine you will require.
* Your small scale wind method is expected to have a ROI period of maximum fifteen years. Economic lifetime of any small wind turbine without changing the primary elements is estimated to get about two decades and proper maintenance will increase this. However, maintenance needs of small wind turbines are anticipated to be minimal.
* Have any permits required in your town.
* You will likely need a contractor for erection, assembly, electrical connections of the wind turbine. However, in case your turbine is micro scale, you can do these jobs alone as well. You can find domestic scale wind turbines and also 400W or 1 kW self installed turbines and accessories on windturbines.ie.
Individual wind turbines for industrial uses, i.e. factory sites
Turbines for industrial uses have capacities between 500kW to 3 MW. You will be able to generate electricity for wind speeds between 3 m/s and 25 m/s. For times the wind will not be blowing, one can still get electricity through the grid. This will result in additional revenue in addition to your reduced electricity bills.
Steps towards a wind turbine installation within your factory site:
The steps that ought to be designed for installing an industrial scale wind turbine are approximately exactly like those for installing a domestic turbine. The only real difference is that they require more expertise. So it might be a good idea to require a turnkey service from a specialist company in order not to experience any problems. The stages for a turbine installation are outlined below:
* Wind Measurement: As your annual electricity generation depends mainly on wind speed, this method is of vital importance so that you can forecast your power production. You can never know what you should generate with no knowledge of whatever you have in hand.
* Feasibility studies: This is an in depth study to let you know rskxmv your proposed system will be a feasible project or otherwise not.
* Grid connection studies: This step assesses grid connection possibilities for the proposed wind turbine.
* Permission: Planning and setting up your wind turbine will demand some permits on planning stage and through installation. Failure to get these permits may result in legal enforcement.
* Project budget planning: What you will need to spend to your wind turbine project from starting to the conclusion is an important item in any kind of preparing for business.
* Procurement, commissioning and installation: All of your equipment and staff needs for a turnkey project.
* Post-sales services: Issues like warranty, technical service, and maintenance.